Well... I'd rather just not come in..

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The computer monitor

I feel like my lobby is the only lobby in the world where everyone - visitors and employees - can see my computer screen. My desk is kind of low, and and has a weird shape, so most people don't walk in and walk to the front of my desk (where the sign in book is), they walk to the side of my desk, which I find extremely odd.

See exhibit A below. The X is where they SHOULD go, the ? is where they go. I thought maybe it was because the chair is kind of oddly placed, but even when its moved, they still like creeping up on my side.

Exhibit A:

Ew, I don't know why I can't load that to make it better quality and easier to read.

Any who, where the STAR is is where EVERYONE likes to sit. Forget about the comfy couch, or the chairs in front of me, the star chair is where every interviewee/guest/vendor loves to sit. It also so happens to be the only chair when sitting in it, you can see my monitor.

Now, I'm not doing anything crazy at work, but I really hate sitting there knowing people can see me check my personal email account and type non-work related emails. Or even go to any sort of website, even if it is just target.com.

It's always interesting when it's a group of people the come in, and they still migrate to that one chair. Now, I know what you're thinking. Duh, just move the chair. And trust me, I have. But due to the small nature of the lobby, there's only so many places where chairs can go. Also, every morning the chair is always back in its spot. Either the cleaning lady has it out for me, or Jim is doing it to annoy me.

Now, most visitors are usually in and out of the lobby pretty quickly, so I know it shouldn't bother me thaaaat much, but it's not just them! Employees come out and stand right there and talk to each other. Most of the time they want a private conversation so they stand there whispering back and forth. Um hi, I can hear you. And since you're standing on top of me, I can't keep myself occupied by looking at some fun website. I literally just sit there pretending all I do is wait for the phone to ring. So if you really want to talk about your husbands, go to the cafe. Go outside. Go to the kitchen and talk by the coffee like you're supposed to.

Just go away! I need to catch up on what I missed on Dancing With The Stars ;)

4 comments:

  1. I don't like the visitors that hang all over my counter and try to make small talk. Or the ones that throw down their business card like they're important. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a receptionist too and hate when people stand there on the side and can see my computer! I recently got a screen protector though, and now unless you are directly in front of the screen it looks black. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I have a screen protector too and I LOVE IT! I even angled my monitor to avoid the very issue you have Ruby, but people still strain their neck to try to read what's on my screen. Shameless!

    ReplyDelete