
The dumb admin... thatttt would be me.
The more I'm away from the reception desk, and the more I'm doing "real" work, the more I realized how dumb I am with everyday normal administrative duties. Until recently, I never left my desk, I answered phones, greeted guests and tried to look adorable while being absolutely miserable.
In 5 years, I haven't added a lot of impressive stats to my resume, and after today, I'm happy to say that I can photocopy.
I'm not even kidding.
I literally stared at the stupid space aged machine in the mail room for a good 5 minutes before laughing at myself. Even just attempting to just copy something made me want to cry. After figuring out that, Brandan came over just to chat. While standing there, he asked me a very simple question. Why aren't you copying this stuff on both sides of the paper, why print on two?
I'm sorry, what? Now, I know it's possible to print on both sides, the thing is... I've never had to, so I have absolutely no idea how to do that. Brandan laughs at me, and I just sort of play it off that I'm a receptionist.
Uh.... doesn't that mean you should know the basics?
One would think...
I continue standing there, waiting for all my stuff to print out. I managed how to make it make more than one copy at a time - I know, super impressive - and begin stapling some pages together. This is when Tim walks in. "What are you doing? You do realize that the machine can staple everything together for you..."
a what what?!
Where have I been? Apparently hiding under a rock. Tim jokes with me that this is new technology, you know, it's probably been around since 1992. Ha. Ha. Ha. It's also able to scan copies to my email - which, I figure out all by myself, thank you very much.
It doesn't help that I'm blonde. The jokes started, and being a good sport (and beyond embarrassed), I laugh it off and sulk off to Kathy's desk. While sitting there, I realize I'm the worst admin ever! Not only do I thoroughly dislike answering phones and interacting with people, I can't even make a photocopy without looking like a loser.
Geez, no wonder boss has shunned me from my the reception desk. I'm the sloppy, sweaty girl that can't do basic admin tasks. Good thing I've only been here 5 years. :/
I wonder what other basic admin tasks there are that I don't know how to do...

oh whatever! I had no idea a photocopier could staple things for you. Here at my work we have to remove staples from things we want copied...who knew it was so easy to add them back!
ReplyDelete