Today was a rough day. I switched shifts with NG so I could go to a doctor's appointment this morning. Unfortunately that meant I was working until 6pm. By the time I got to the office, I had to run around to deliver lunches, cover NG's 1000s bathroom breaks, squeeze in a lunch, clean up after the meetings, cover NG's lunch, go to a meeting with my boss, attempt to calm down an upset NG after her meeting with the boss and then be chained to the phones until closing.
All while wearing a fucking smile on my face.
In all the years that I've been working for this company, 2 people (my boss and Kathy's boss) have told me the worst advice ever. Only thing is, it turns out to be some of the smartest advice I've ever been given.
Fake it 'til you make it.
Yup.
And the worst part - it totally works. I even did a search of the phrase and it's a real "thing". Wikipedia says its " is a common catchphrase that means to imitate confidence so that confidence produces success" Well well, so if I fake happy and looking confident, the end result is me looking like I know what I'm doing and I'll be successful? Interesting. It's also associated with AA - ha. Everything about my job is full circle to drinking more.
I've been meeting with my boss a lot more frequently and when she mentioned how NG just isn't as good as me (well, duh) and how there have been complaints that she doesn't greet everyone or can sometimes get a little tooooo casual with employees (she does, she wants to be friends with everyone, and doesn't see the difference between friends and co-workers). Daily I am asked by co-workers if they can do a last minute lunch orders for their meeting happening in 2 hours. And with a huge fake smile on my face, I'll tell them "Of course you can! Not a problem, I'll take care of that for you right away!!! :) :) :) :) :)" That's when I hang up the phone with them, roll my eyes, mutter under my breathe how dumb they are and continue on my day.
NG... not so much. (And let's not even get into it that she doesn't actually do any of this work, I do it so why does she make it a big deal??) Anywho, she'll state how inconvenient last minute orders are. How we really need more notice. How she can order them pizza, but that's about it. Oh, and you might have to come pick the order up yourself since Ruby is running around with all the other lunches. Oooh, you wanted drinks... I'll see if we have enough for you...
This, my friends, is when you fake it. We all know how terrible last minute things are, but you don't actually say that! You grin and bear it. And ya know what? everyone in the office knows they can count on me and I will do anything to help them out. NG, well.... people try to just avoid her and go directly to me.
I don't know which is worse. People sort of walk all over me, but I'd rather people talk about how awesome I am over and over then to have one NEGATVE (ew, still hate that word) comment made about me. I will try to go above and beyond so much that I will...
...fake it 'till I make it.
God damn it. My boss was right...
...Hey, if the shoe fits.. ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment