Well... I'd rather just not come in..

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 6, 2012

Uh, there's a fire in the lobby.


I'm just gonna jump right into this.  No fancy intro or story.  Just the facts.

There was a fire in the lobby.

Ok, maybe not a real fire, but I was sitting at the desk and smoke started shooting out from a light above me, and I would say that's pretty close to a fire.

And since there's no way I can just say that and not elaborate, here's your story :)

I had just gotten back from my lunch break and was trying to shuffle NG out of the lobby.  She has a half hour break, which is supposed to be 1:30-2pm, everyday.  This girl has decided that her break is 30mins from once she leaves the lobby.  So she takes her sweet time, getting her stuff together and normally leaves around 1:45 everyday.  One would think that she would have to come back at 2pm, but nope, we all know she walks all over me.  But that's a completely different story, and today, it worked in my favor to have her far away.

NG leaves, and within minutes of sitting at the desk, I'm instantly annoyed and want to leave.  I've now gotten to the point where I just sit there, with my head resting on my hand looking completely miserable.  It was then, that the light above me starting flickering.  

Awesome.  Either the stupid construction is making the lobby turn into a club with strobe lights, or there is a ghost in the office who's just as annoyed as I am.   As I sit there getting more and more annoyed, there was a loud POP! noise that caused me to look up.   That, my friends, is when I saw smoke billowing out over the light fixture.

Holy mother of God, I'm going to die at work.

I sat in my chair for a second, wondering "maybe it will just stop and go away" quickly followed by, "do I need to tell people, or can I just leave the building and save my own life.."   Instead, I calmly picked up the phone and called Jim.

"Uh, Jim... there's a fire in the lobby?"
"WHAT do you mean there's a fire?!!?!?"
"Uhh, well, there's smoke and it smells like burning out here"
CLICK!  oh good, Jim will come fix this!

8 MINUTES LATER JIM COMES TO MY RESCUE.  8 MINUTES!!!! Obviously my life was not in danger, because, duh, I would have just left, but still.  Next telemarketer call goes to you, Jim.  Sucka.

The smoke stopped, and the lobby just smelled terrible.  Property managers and the construction team all came out to inspected it, and it was "nothing important"  Right.  Sure.  You're obviously not going to tell me the light above my head caught fire and I could have died.

For the record, as I told every man who came into the lobby to look at the damaged light and was soooooooooo concerned about fixing it, I'm FINE! Don't worry about me!! 

What.
Ev.
Er!

NG came in, and spazzed, and continued to freak out for the rest of the afternoon.  Hi, you weren't there, and not only that, everything is totally fine now.  I know she was just upset she missed all the excitement, but I'd take a lunch break over sitting in a smoky lobby any day!

Also, for the record, NG is fine too.  She made sure everyone knew that.  Yes, we can all roll our eyes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment