I have a small head.And because of this, my headset does not fit properly. Instead of wearing it like a normal receptionist, I hold the earpiece up to one ear with my hand, and talk this way. Occasionally I'll throw the headset on to wear it normally, but usually it tends to slide off my head so I just rather hold it in place. Annoying? Extremely. Especially when you use a keyboard to type in the person's name to transfer a call.
So what does any of this have to do with The Whisperers?
Well, let me introduce you to to the 2 types of whisperers I have in my office:


1. Someone who when talking to you, about everyday
normal things, whispers instead of speaks:
normal things, whispers instead of speaks:
2. People who comes into the lobby, stand next
to my desk and whispers back and forth so no one
(more specifically, me) can hear them
So today, I had the lovely pleasure of dealing with a lady who likes to whispers. I understand that sometimes when I do actually wear the headset, it can be confusing whether or not I'm actually on the phone. Because of this, I usually take off the headset immediately after being on a call (actually, I just do this because the headset doesn't fit, but let's pretend I do it to be nice to other people.)
Some days I'll even be on the phone, wearing the headset and people will start to talk to me, or whisper, asking if I can open the door for them. A whisper in this case is completely acceptable, since I'm busy and I can easily help them without talking back to them. However, today I got the lady that actually needed a response. I'm on the phone, attempting to wear the headset, when this lady comes up to me and starts whispering away. She's so faint that I barely even notice she's there, or that she's talking to me. So I end the call, can sense she's still standing to my side, remove the headset and turn to her. Key word being I REMOVED the head set.
So as I ask her what's up, she leans forwards (which naturally causes me to lean back) and whispers something. Um what? What did you just say?? She repeats herself and I catch something about if I know who Lisa is and her desk. I assume she's looking to see if I know where she sits in the office. I give her directions to the payroll office and if I didn't know that someone usually says "thank you" after someone helps them out, I would have no idea what she said.
I mean, I think that's what she said. And I think that's what she asked.... haha! For all I know she could have asked me to do something and I literally just sent her away. I know this whisperer, and I've heard her speak normally. I'm confused as to if she just thought I was still on the phone or perhaps she was just nervous to be talking to such an important lady such as myself ;)
Either way, she earned herself a nickname.

That's like the episode of Seinfeld that has the lady who's a low talker. HA HA! Do you ever pretend to be on the phone when someone you don't like walks in? Just curious. I think most receptionists do.
ReplyDeleteOh, I definitely pretend to be on the phone. I usually tend to do it when plant boy comes in. It doesn't always work tho, some people are just gonna talk to you no matter what.
ReplyDeleteI used to have a headset than another receptionist broke it...I work at a car dealership and I have nicknames for people too and sometimes since I dont have a headset I will pick up the phone and call the other dealership in our group to avoid a few people. Ha Ha
ReplyDelete