
Susie came into the lobby today. Susie was looking for a job.
I don't know about you, but here at our "corporate world", one does not just wonder into an office and ask if they're hiring. One also does not leave a resume AND cover letter with the receptionist "just in case".
Upon explaining to Susie that the only way to find out about open positions is to go on our website and check out the career section, I could tell she was not satisfied with my answer. Ok lady, I'll take your resume and yes, of course, I'll pass this along to HR right away!
Cut to me smirking.
So what did I do with this resume? I immediately look it over. She's been an admin/executive assistant for a while, and has quite an impressive resume. Bilingual, great references and experience and would definitely be an asset to our company. But, we're not hiring anything remotely close to an admin position. We have positions for benefit specialists and IT managers, nothing that really matches what kind of job Susie is looking for.
And what kind of job is she looking for? Well, according to her cover letter, a job that uses her expertise in her related field and her qualificiations listed below match exactly with the requirements listed for available position.
Um... there's no job posted.
I understand having a generic cover letter for all jobs you apply to is easier...but... shouldn't you at least be handing in your resume and cover letter for a specific job if you're going to say that you're qualified for the job's requirements??
I may not know much, but I do know Susie isn't getting a job. How do I know this? Because her resume is here at my place so I could show my friends how crazy people are.
Sorry Susie, better luck next time!

No comments:
Post a Comment