Well... I'd rather just not come in..

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Review



Last Friday was my review. It wasn't bad. It wasn't good. It just was.


Last Friday also was payday. My lovely boss put in for my raise (YAY!), but when I checked my bank statement, I learned that paycheck was only $18 more (BOO). I got a 2% raise, and when you're hourly like me, that literally translates to cents. My raise was 34 cents/hour. And there wasn't even a conversation about it. I know I should be happy to even get a "raise" but really? I do a lot, and I feel that this past year I've taken on so many new responsibilities the least they could do is TALK to me about my raise, and tell me why it's only 2%, before just doing it. For the record, it's 2% because that's what the budget allows and everyone, including my boss, got 2%. That sucks. Where is the motivation to do anything when your raise only depends on what the budget is??

BossBoss took me out to lunch, and we actually had somewhat of a productive meeting. She admitted to being nervous about this review, because apparently "I'm hard to read and didn't know how I was feeling about anything". Clearly, she needs to read my blog.

Anywho, I won't bore you with our conversation, I'll just list some of the lovely highlights BossBoss wrote in her section of my review that we both have to do for HR. Basically, she created goals for me during the year (which is supposed to be done at my last review, but we just skipped that part....), and then you and your manager grade yourself "above, on or below target" for that specific goal and then you both write a little blurb about why you responded they way you did. Check out my boss's responses:

GOAL #1: Assist office manager in search for a visitor mgt system for home office:
BossBoss Response: "Below Target" -
Ruby has not been involved in this project. I have discussed it with her and Jim has invited her to more than one meeting. Ruby has not shown any enthusiasm or ownership to this project.


Um, DUH! I didn't even know about this! And not only that, JIM has not invited me to any meetings. Ew.

GOAL #2: Create opportunities for work outside of reception:
BossBoss Response: "Below Target" -
We have made adjustments in meeting support this year to provide Ruby an opportunity to expand into the role. This was really an opportunity for Ruby to put her stamp on meeting support and define an expanded role outside of reception. I have not witnessed the level of enthusiasm or assertiveness necessary for me to call this a complete success. I would encourage Ruby to continue to work on her communication skills and create a higher degree of ownership. There is no question that Ruby has taken over numerous tasks from Kathy and has provided her with a good deal of support. I am okay with Ruby and Kathy continuing this arrangement, but would not at this point give Ruby total oversight of in house meetings.

Um...How the HECK am I below target when she clearly lists that I DO SOMEONE ELSE'S JOB? I guess I need to be more excited about doing Kathy's work, even though there is clearly no position available for me to take over meetings. That's fine. Whatever. But don't expect me to happy while I'm assisting Kathy.

Overall evaluation: BossBoss response:
Ruby demonstrates above target characteristics as it relates to managing callers on the board. She is dependable and consistent, offering callers high quality care. I have not seen enough growth in Ruby's communication skills, nor enough of an increased sense of ownership, or enthusiasm to give her more responsibility and broaden the scope of her current position. Ruby gives the impression that she is more comfortable with a consistent routine and the same daily schedule. This makes it very difficult to see her in a role that has more responsibilities surrounding front of the house activities. I am comfortable with Ruby continuing in a supportive role in all of these functions.
Ruby is an excellent receptionist and makes a positive first impression for new callers to the company. Courteous and professional, she seamlessly gets callers to the right destination. She manages the activities that support the board well, including new employees, lists, and internal resources. I believe that Ruby is most comfortable at the board.

I have single handedly got myself stuck as a receptionist and I clearly will NEVER get another position with this company. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Oh wait, I *DID* cry! hahah, are you even surprised??





No comments:

Post a Comment