Extreme couponers. I love them, I wish I was one. I see those shows on TLC and just wonder what crazy switch went off in their heads that made them think not only can they save money on 70 bottles of ketchup, but that they NEED 70 bottles of ketchup.What does any of this do with being a receptionist and working in a corporate office? Well, let me tell you. As I walk around in the morning hanging up the meeting signs for all conference rooms, I noticed that in one room (which happens to be the one in the lobby) there was a meeting titled "Coupon Club". The description is listed as:
"Bring your coupons, your deals of the week, your purchase strategy and your lunch. Please let me know if you really attend or not. If you know anyone else that does couponing and is extreme like us, please feel free to invite them"
This is when my crazy switch in my head went off and made a mental note of the time so I could see just who exactly was in this club. Oh how exciting that this group is meeting in the only conference room I can see from my desk! I began to think of what to expect. Clearly the people are TLC are a tad crazy, but seriously, getting $900 of groceries for free is pretty sweet.
12 o'clock finally arrived and I anxiously awaited to see who was so extreme. Not surprisingly the majority of them where females, worked in the IT department and just as crazy as those on the show. These people lugged in binders, folders stuffed with ads, and notebooks ready to discuss their strategies.
After watching them pile in, I stood up to get a better look at the madness. They decided to eat their lunches first, one even bragging about how his was free from Target last week. I think it was a lean cuisine. After lunches were devoured (and oh, they were hungry...), binders flew open and the coupons were out! I think my phone must have annoyed them, as they ended up shutting the door to the conference room so I couldn't hear them anymore, but I could certainly see what was going on. They were trading coupons! Giving tips! Taking about what stores had the best deal. I stood there in awe. My sister and I have dabbled in couponing, and in no way are we even close to the people on the show, we absolutely SUCK in comparison to the people in this club!
Their meeting ended and they must have noticed me just staring at them since they decided to come talk to me. Turns out most of them just started this and were already bragging about their money saving techniques.
I even got invited to next week's meeting (which I turned down - I don't like people, remember ;) ). As I started to think of all the funny things I was going to tell Bill about this crazy club, one member came back and threw me a pack of tic-tacs.
"Hey, you like mints? I got these free, and I'll never be able to eat all of them."
Why yes, I *DO* like mints. And I like people giving me presents! Maybe these people aren't so bad... I mean, think of the free things I might end up with?!? ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment