I cried at work today.
It's not the first time, nor will it be the last. For once it wasn't because of a mean caller or my boss being a total douche. And if you can believe it, it wasn't because I was on vacation last week and now I'm back at work. (I apologize in being so busy and not keeping up with the blog, but I'm back..again.. and ready to entertain you all!)
Anyways, back to the story. It's my first week back from what is actually my second week long vacation (woohoo!) and I came back to a new part time receptionist coming in at 9:30am for training. That means I sit with this girl ALL DAY LONG. I swear, for the past 3 days at work, I have talked for the whole 8 hours of my shift. It's good, the girl asks a lot of questions and is right out of college, so she's super excited and eager to learn, but dude... I just got back from vacation. Give me a minute.
Not to mention, this week in my personal life is beyond hectic. My week started with me waking up at 4:30am on Monday morning to catch a ride home with my Dad from my parent's summer house and back to my apartment so I could get to work for 7:30am. Naturally, I decided it was a great idea to go to a baseball game after work and stay out until 11:30pm. Tuesday I had to wake up early to shower, then went out after work (gym, met up with my parents, did a lil shopping for the party and met up with a friend) and was out until 1am. Which, yeah, not the smartest idea being out that late but oh well! Oh and what's this party I"m taking about? Oh nothing, I'm just hosting a huge party for my sister this weekend, and I've been scrambling around trying to get everything together. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I could have done it on my vaca...buttttttt I didn't :P)
So, I'm tired. I'm really tired. I think I've gotten a combined total of 10 hours of sleep in the past 2 days. I've been living off caffeine, willing myself to stay awake, attempting to be the sweet (ha!) girl that I am while training the new girl, do Kathy's job because of course, even though I'm training someone, of course I still have to do manage to do her work as well, get stuck in a meeting with Kathy's boss where she rates me on my performance each week and pretend to act like I'm happy to be back at work! Sounds awful, right?!
So, yawning, I have to deliver food to a meeting. I throw the desserts on the cart, and while I'm opening a door to head into the lobby, all of a sudden the worst thing that could possibly happen, happens. The stupid cookies slide off the cart and PLOP, right onto the floor. I stand there not knowing if I should laugh, cry or just give up and go home. If you remember, I ate food off the floor of my office, and I stood there for a second debating if I can just throw it back on the platter and serve it. Ohhh stop, you would debate it too!
I bend down to start picking up the mess and Kathy comes running over. And thisssss is where I begin to lose it. Trying to hold back the tears, Kathy tells me everything is ok, don't worry about it, blah blah blah. Of course another employee comes over to help and I just stand up and walk into the bathroom.
And I cried.
Like a baby.
Over spilled cookies.
...And a broken nail as a result of trying to catch the damn thing.
So what's a girl to do? While rocking the obvious "yup, I just cried" eyes, I delivered the rest of the stupid meal (minus the cookies, those got tossed) with the whole office wondering what the hell happened to me.
I'm going with that I cried because I'm exhausted, but let's face it, I'm just a cry baby.

I cried when my boss forgot to tell me that she went out of town for a meeting, after she asked me to pick her up at the car repair shop. I sat there waiting for her for almost an hour before I learned she wasn't coming.
ReplyDeleteI know she forgets stuff all the time. That's why she needs me. But being the one she forgot made me feel really useless. I hear ya Ruby, and love your posts. I am glad you're back from vacation!